We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crock Pot Save!

        So, as you know, I try to keep the bambini moving...especially during these days of summer...we try to recover ground that we enjoyed with Kimmy.  To remember the fun times and to create new memories...
        And, I try to keep these guys well fed with home cooked meals, in between the running!  That creates some kind of challenges.  Kim used to be pretty handy with the crock pot, when ever our schedules got busy - but, aside from Janene's recipe of chicken and Rotel, I've only used the crock to make pinto beans...first time a disaster, second time went very well...

         A week a go or so, Andrea presented me with this:
          She knew I've been running hard and loved to cook for the kids and thought this would help!  I carefully went through it - there is a recipe for every day on index sized cards...and thought I'd try the Chicken Cacciatore...
          I made it on Sunday and put everything in the crock pot as we headed out the door for church.  By the time we got back around 3 that afternoon, it was nearly done and the bambini were salivating!  It did smell pretty good.

          Easy to make:
          1 pepper, chopped (I used a yellow one)
          1 onion, chopped
          1 Tbsp. dry Italian seasoning
          1 can diced tomatoes (14-15oz)
          6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves.
          I added 4 minced garlic cloves, too!

          In a small bowl, mix together the pepper, onion, seasoning and tomatoes.  Place a third on bottom of crock pot.  Layer 3 chicken breasts over top and add a 1/3 of tomato sauce.  Place the remaining breasts on top and cover with the tomato sauce.
          Cover and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken is done, but not dry.

           The bambini absolutely loved it!  Autumn asked if she could put sour cream on it...at first, I said 'NO!  Why would you put sour cream on Chicken Cacciatore??'  Then, as I examined the dish, I realized - it is damn near Chicken Fajitas...isn't it??  So, I told her 'Go ahead!' and she had seconds!!!
          What a time saver - and I've got several hundred more recipes to try!!!

           As I went to put away the first recipe I tried, feeling good that it had worked out, I noticed that the date of the recipe I had chosen was March 1st - Kimmy's birthday...how cool is that?

           Love,
                 Dave

1 comment:

  1. I love the "Kimmyness" of the date AND I'm lovin that recipe! I think I'm gonna make it tomorrow! How long did you let it cook? On high? On low?

    ReplyDelete