We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Monsoon Madness!

          The monsoon is here!  It makes the bambini go aboriginal, or something.  The first day, I called them out to see the rain, the boys ripped off their shirts and went tearing off into the blinding down pour, hooting and hollering like savages...
          
         Today, was not much different.  The winds picked up.  The Rincon Mountains were obscured by dark, ominous clouds.  And then, it hit!  The monsoon of the season!  Blowing Antonio's lid off of his turtle sandbox.  Sending Bella into a panic, as she realized she had stayed outside a moment too long.  The rain coming down sideways.  Loud, thunderous cracks, as our neighbors, Amy and Tom, saw the tree behind their home struck by lightning and obliberating their block wall.

         As it subsided, our doorbell rang...Kim's relatives arriving.  Her Aunt Beverly, who moved from California to Texas nearly 6 years ago...has a son, Kyle, Kim's cousin.  His wife, Jodi, who has been such an inspiration to our family, constantly sending supportive messages, well, her mom and dad are traveling from California to Texas to visit and have Kyle and Jodi's daughters, Sarah and Lucy with them, stopped by.  I whipped up some marinara sauce and angel hair pasta, with bread and salad to greet them with.
        A few months ago, Jody told me, her mom could make the bambini some bears.  Have them choose their favorite shirt Kim used to wear and her mom, Andi, would make it into a teddy bear!
        So, one day, about a month ago, I finally was able to do this.  And Cody picked Kim's pink, leopard skin print, pj's.  Autumn chose her Motown t-shirt and Tonio, a beach print t-shirt Kim had bought at Laguna beach.  I did not tell them why we were sending these shirts off...Today, Andi arrived with their surprise!
             Andi surprised me by taking what was left of Kim's pj's and combined them with what was left of Kim's Motown t-shirt to make me a beautiful bear, too...What heartfelt, wonderful keepsakes the bambini have!! Tonio proclaimed that his was named 'Ocean', "because Mama loved the ocean".  They each carried theirs off to bed tonight, to hold close and to remember...
            Meanwhile, the rains had left water...a lot...in our 'hood.  The bambini doned their boots and headed out...splasing in the wash area next to Betsey and Brian's house.




                      Tonio looked as lost as I feel tonight when I snapped this photo...big boots...striped shirt...checked pants...wtf?  I couldn't help him.  They all had fun finding snails, dead snakes and splashing throught the waters....
                   The temperature was incredible after the storm...from 106 down to 70 degrees in minutes.  The rain so good for Kimmy's garden...I can't wait to wake up and work on her flowers.

                   Music.  Brings memories back.  Alphaville, a group from Berlin, Germany, who had a hit single back in 1984 called 'Forever Young' seems to be plaguing me lately.  I originally bought this ALBUM for Kim back in 1984 and bought her the CD in 1987 or so.  It was one of her favorites, and, because of this, one of mine.  Recently, I've come across numberous covers of 'Forever Young'...and I'm finally downloading this CD to our Ipod and listening to it and remembering, as I go...

                    One of the things I miss most, right now, is just the casual conversation Kim and I enjoyed.  Talking about nothing, but loving it.  And the almost absent minded way that her hand would search out my hand - reassuring that we were really there, together...and the scent of her vanilla spray...Some days, in a crowd, I catch a whiff of her and I just close my eyes, knowing she is close, feeling her presence...and when I open my eyes...she is gone...

                       Love,
                              Dave
          

1 comment:

  1. Those bears are AWESOME! What a great memento. I've never seen that done before...glad the kids are enjoying the monsoons. I came darn close to having to go outside in the worst of it and attempt to hold down our trampoline. (As if...I'm sure it would've taken me right with it.) But whatever. It seemed like the right thing to do as the responsible adult at home!

    ReplyDelete