We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Night in Italy for Kim

      Sorry I haven't posted in the last couple of days...I was torn between reporting on the bambini and our runnings, while working on projects for Kimberly's Foundation...and decided to let you know about the first of the fall fundraisers.
     
       First, let me back track to Friday, when I found myself running the 5 flights of stairs, at St. Joseph's, to the floor that Kim lived on, and to see the caring souls that took care of her...

   

          I ran the five flights in flip flops...my new, comfy ones by Reef...twice, because once just did not seem good enough today.  I had just met with John Gimmler and Nancy Kirk (who administers Kim's fund for me through Carondelet).  John is in the fund raising business, too.  Nancy thought I might be interested in his latest project.  A chapel.  At St. Joseph's. 
          The current chapel is on the fifth floor.  I spent a lot of time there, when Kim would drift off into an uneasy sleep.  First, I'd run stairs.  Then I'd pray.  Most times, I'd be praying while I ran, too.  The chapel is about the size of two hospital rooms, with folding chairs in it.  It served the purpose that I needed it to serve, yet, I found myself thinking, on more than one occasion, that I missed the old chapel that they used to have.  It was torn down back in 2005 for hospital expansion into neurology, a much needed wing.  But, prior to being able to build a new chapel, the economy went south...
          I can see the need for a chapel.  The hospital workers agree, as do the patients.  You need a place to regroup, re energize, etc.
          Also, many years ago, Kim asked me 'what would you do if you hit the lottery today?'...I told her that I'd build a church, on the piece of land just south of the wash that runs behind Cottonwood elementary.  She liked that idea...and added that we could build a school to go along with it...so when John and Nancy asked if I'd like to get involved in utilizing the funds from the fall fundraisers for Kimberly's Foundation, I said 'yes!'.  They showed me the plans.  The chapel will be uniquely shaped and outside, there will be soothing gardens with benches.  I'll add some as I get files that I can attach.
          Of course, Kim will be remembered there, at some level, depending on how much I can raise...and that is where my energy will be focused over the next several months (if anyone has ideas on how to raise large chunks of money, or works for companies that donate to non-profit foundations, let me know!!)...

           Fundraiser #1 will be on Saturday, October 22nd from 5:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. at Desert Sky Middle School.  There will be a movie for the children.  Jumping castles, too.  And Viro's Italian Bakery will be catering the event!!  Lasagna, chicken marsala, salad, bread, dessert, drinks, etc...I hope to have tickets on sale at Cottonwood, Desert Sky, Desert Willow and Rincon Vista (and you can get them from me, too of course). A family night out, A Night in Italy for Kim, for $15.00 ($6.00 for a spaghetti and meatball dinner for kids!).  We are looking for sponsors to help with costs - and will create a placemat and posters for sponsor recognition.  It will be a fun night, right here in our community!

            You know Kim gave so much to our schools, our church and our community...I feel driven to keep her alive, through her foundation, that will help so many here in Tucson...

            Love,
                   Dave

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Can't wait for a night in italy :) Kim will definitely approve of helping with the chapel so others families can seek comfort...

    ReplyDelete