We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cucumber Salad

        I didn't start out to write about cucumber salad tonight, but, once again, I am so jammed full of stories and it has been awhile...as I try to steer around the flotsam and jetsam, and carefully thread my words...so here's another great recipe for you to try...
    ...because we still find such comfort in the kitchen...Kimmy's Kitchen..

                                 Cucumber Salad
 
       1 large cucumber
       1/2 cup sour cream
       1 tblsp of vinegar
        paprika
        salt and pepper

        Pare cucumber and slice very thin, place in a bowl and add salt and fresh, ground pepper to taste.  Add the 1/2 cup of sour cream, vinegar and paprika.  Stir until all slices are fully coated.  If desired, chopped chives or sliced onions may be added.

         Try this.  It is refreshing.  I like it with thinly sliced onions added - no chives please.

         This is a recipe from Kim's mom, Carole.  Her and Kim's stepdad, Jim, gave us so much support during those nightmare days when Kim was staying at St. Joseph's.  They were always cleaning, running the bambini places, or cooking.  "What can I cook you?" Kim's mom would ask me.  I never knew, but, one day, I had a flashback to one of her fabulous Thanksgiving day feasts...cucumber salad.  "Can you make me cucumber salad?" I asked.  She laughed, told me sure and it was as good as I remembered, so I asked for the recipe.

          Andrea continues to supply us with vegetables...this past week, there was an abundance of English cucumbers...Autumn loves cucumbers.  So do I.  And we ate them with salt.  Ate them in salads.  Put lime juice on them (Andrea taught us this trick, it is delicious!).  And finally, it came to me...Carole's cucumber salad!!! 



Here's the next thing, as seen on the FB:


secure3.convio.net
Kim was the kind of person that when you met her, you felt as though you had known her forever...she set you at ease with her smile and the sparkle in her eye. She cared so deeply for people, our community, our schools and gave a lot of time and energy towards making our world a better place. Even when she received... the diagnosis of cancer, the smile never left her face - she inspired everyone and touched so many lives. She fought hard and continues to motivate people to this day. To do better and to give unselfishly. I was so blessed to have her in my life and work daily to keep her spirit alive, along with our three children, Cody, Autumn and Tonio. On May 18th, we walk for you Kimmy - with smiles on our faces, making it look easy...just as you always did.


Thanks for reading,

 Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment