We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Time stopped





"Hello, hello, hello...
And I thought about you today
And I thought about the things you used to say
And I thought about the things we did
And I thought about the games we used to play...
I always thought we'd be together
I always knew we'd be together
Oh what do I do now?
I don't want to wait forever"
-J Cole

  Being with Kim, time had a habit of getting stopped.  That moment, another time we got stuck.  That moment forever and always doomed to keep happening in my head.  I try to capture those moments in my tattoos, forever inked - better than a photograph, which fade with time, bend or tear.  But there are so many...

  While Autumn captured a Kimmy sentiment, literally using Kim's hand writing to do it...Love yours...I tried to sum up all of those moments where time really did stop.  For us.  On the beach, it was as if we were on our own island.  No worries, hand in hand.











   I still love the beach, it's where the memories are strongest.  And comforting.  Over the years, my favorite beach has been in Mexico.  About 20 miles south of Puerto Penasco - Playa Encanto.  It is absolutely soothing to sit on the beach there, warm sand beneath my feet, and look out to the Sea of Cortez.  I've totally lost track of time doing it, ending up pretty toasty from the sun.  Well, to tell the truth, it happens every time...the sound of the waves so hypnotizing, cool breeze, pelicans in lazy flight searching for fish and an occasional dolphin that I imagine is Kim dropping by to say hello.









   Long walks on that beach, along the waters edge - and any problem that's been keeping you awake at night is washed away in the surf.  Diving in the warm waters is like being renewed, a baptism in the sea.  I've witnessed many sunrises and sunsets there - they are each uniquely miraculous.  The colors intertwining together and the flash as the sun dips below the horizon into the water is revitalizing.













   The little town of Puerto Penasco is equally cathartic.  The energy there, the bustle of the local shops, sea food merchants and restaurants is a place I can get lost, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells.  Sitting on the balcony of a seafood restaurant, overlooking the harbor, watching the fishing boats return from a days work while sipping a cold cerveza - still feeling the heat of the sun emanating from my overcooked skin - is so relaxing.  The merchants sell some fantastic fruit, mangoes my favorite with tajin and chamoy, artistically transforming them into a flower before handing them to you on a stick.  Even the haggling in the shops for trinkets or clothing is an experience I enjoy.


























      The statues throughout the town represent the local culture and their lively hood - the Sea of Cortez.  My favorite is the El Camaronero - The Shrimp Fisherman, located in the Plaza de Malecon.  It's a great plaza, with local fruit stands and merchants throughout.  And El Camaronero oversees the the whole scene, looking wistfully out at the sea.





All of the memories here, the peace this beach has brought to me...




are now a part of me.







A friend sent this 'Kim Conca Sunset' from the other day...






She's always there





No comments:

Post a Comment