We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Report Card

Yesterday, while digging out the bambini's social security #'s for Emilio 'Proud Papa' Montes, who has just opened a insurance office - I'm switching over my cars, home and life insurance policies to his new business, I came across a report card of Kimmy's from 11th grade!  Honor roll student!! Meanwhile, I was treading water with mostly C's...
               Looking it over, I remembered that Kim and I had Mr. Matus together for American Cultures.  It was a bone dry course.  Mr. Matus did his best to entertain us, but, he was at least 100 years old and his humor was a bit outdated.  He always thought Kim and I were a couple, because, we sat next to each other and always got caught passing notes.  The funniest was actually just a drawing.  Kim had drawn a picture of a duck, with a Groucho Marx face!  Mr. Matus intercepted it and showed it off to the class, saying how cute it was that us 'love birds' had time during his class to 'doodle'.  First of all, let me say that Mr. Matus using the term 'doodle' to describe Kim's artwork was an inaccuracy - even when she drew cartoon Groucho ducks, they were better than anything I've ever attempted to draw!  As for the 'love birds' crack...guilty!  11th grade was a tough year for us.  This was the year she was dating a football player named Dave Edwards. 
         Several zillion blogs ago, I wrote about the time my friends and I happened to be at a swim party Kim was at, and how around midnight, I happened to conveniently walk her home, slowly.  Giving her a loooonnnnnggggg goodnight kiss.  Or two.  The next day, when I returned home from school (after walking home with Kimmy!), my Dad says 'Dave, your friend Dave Edwards called.'  I remember my heart leaping into my throat, as images of big Dave Edwards throttling me raced through my head...my days were numbered...
         After ducking (no Groucho duck pun intended) Dave for a few weeks, he finally snagged me trying to get off campus one day...and somehow, I not only convinced him not to pummel me, but we became uneasy friends...I say uneasy, because I could not not stop hanging out with Kim.  I could not stop walking her home, or passing notes to her in Mr. Matus' class - or, and this was one of the toughest classes I've ever had, stop swimming with her in Mr. Ruth's class.  Yes, we were in the same swimming class that quarter - and, my heart would literally stop each time Kimmy came out of the locker room in her swim suit for class.  I found it extremely difficult to concentrate that quarter...
         Meanwhile, I was dating a girl named Patty Ryan.  It was going no better for me on that end, since my feelings for Kimmy were obvious and Patty continuously voiced her absolutely, dark hatred for Kim.  OK, one person who did not like Kimmy!  My Dad, ever the diplomat, would ask 'Hey Dave, why don't you get back with Kim?'.  He was right, as always.  Although it would be fun to go into detail, all I'll say is that it did not end well for Patty and I.  Think tornado meets volcano....and tsunami.  And hurricane. 
        One of our more 'electric' moments came at the prom that year, as 11th graders were allowed to go.  She went with Dave, I went with Patty, yet, we somehow convinced them both to let Kim and I have a slow dance together...It was at the Hotel Bethlehem, and I don't think we could have gotten any closer as we slowly moved in a circle, holding each other...
        The second half of that year, we had World Cultures with Mr. Peters.  Mr. Peters was a gloom and doom type of teacher who always predicted that we would all grow up to be 'fat, dumb and happy', as we led our country to nuclear destruction.  He was serious.  He viewed our generation as a  plague to humanity.  We learned cynicism from Mr. Peters.  Mr. Peters was not as tolerant for the fondness of each other Kim and I shared.  Although, he did not go as far as to separate us.  Mr. Matus genuinely wished us well and thought we were the nicest couple he'd seen.
          Another thing I remember about Mr. Matus - he always wore a suit.  He looked like something out of American literature, Ickabod Crane skinny, white hair, black glasses with thick frame and skinny tie.  He was a class act.
          Yes, 11th grade was a good year...

            Autumn, taking after Kimmy, brings home a lot of bling from the AIMS awards ceremony!!  She is rocking out mentally this year!!

           And today was a day of Kimmy sending people to talk to me...I went to Mass at San Xavier this morning, and lit some candles for Kimmy - it always just grips my heart, when I enter the small chapel of Mary, and see Kimmy's smiling face on the altar there...I bring a cloth each week, to dust her picture...

                 Today, in the church, I placed a candle for Kim beneath the San Antonio statue...
     After Mass, the lady sitting right behind me, commented that she like my jersey...


            Ahhh, yes...my Andrea Pirlo jersey - my favorite player on the National team...'the Playmaker' is his nickname.  He plays midfield and controls the game, setting up plays, much like a quarterback on a NFL team...but smarter and always moving...no breaks in between plays...effortlessly.  Kimmy got me this jersey for my last birthday.
           The lady indentified herself as Linda, and then started speaking to me in Spanish.  I told her I did not speak Spanish.  She said I thought you were from Italy.  Why would you speak to me in Spanish, if you thought I was from Italy?  I asked her.  She said she was half Mexican and half Italian, but only spoke Spanish.  Anyway, after that, the conversation led to Kim and our beautiful wedding at San Xavier.  It was comforting.
           Then, I went to walk up the hill, next to the church, as I like to do after Mass and pray at the grotto with the altar and statue of Mary...I had company...
                One of the many desert dogs...perhaps a relative of the dog that walked up the aisle to the altar the day of our wedding, Father Michael reassuring us that the dog was Catholic!  This pup followed me on my walk up and around the top of the little mountain and back down again!        
           Then, I got to have lunch at Viro's with Vito's Aunt Franca and his mom, Enza.  Franca lost her husband, Angelo, to cancer several years ago - our family loved him.  In fact, it was Angelo who gave the kids their taste for sliced tomatoes, olive oil and spices that I posted the other day.  I let Franca know, that I thought of Angelo every time they request that dish (for Autumn, it is almost every day!).  She told me, that even after several years,  things have really not gotten easier...I told her, that I cling to the good memories, and the bambini and the friends, like herself, make it easier - we have to make our way.  I think it helped.  I sure had a great time, drinking cappuccino and sharing lunch with these wonderful ladies.
          I had to stop by Ross, to find Aut a new pair of sneakers...'Dave Conca's' she wanted...DC's.  As I was walking in, Jackie, from Pier One Imports, was walking out.  As a long, long, long time customer, Kim had develped a friendship with Jackie - and they worked together those two overnights that Kim did at Pier 1 for their Christmas set.  Jackie related to me, how her sister, in El Salvador, was killed one night by a bullet to the head and one to the chest.  She never got to say good bye, but, prayed and prayed to God to let her know if her sister was safe and happy.  One day, as she prayed, she felt a presence - her sister, and her heart instantly felt at peace...she assured me this would one day happen to me - and I believe her.  Another comforting moment - and I did find Aut a sweet pair of DC's!
         Picked up the little bambini and Mrs. Schrantz reported that Tonio had a pretty 'happy' week!  Progress!  Then, got Cod, who had a sleepy day, after his late night at the fair last night!!
          Oh, and congratulations to our friends Kim and Rashon - they found out that they will have a little girl, just a few days after Mary Montes is due!!!  Another little one that will have Kimmy as an angel to watch over her, as Kim, an RN at St. Joseph's did for Kimmy, while she was there...
         Later, we went out to watch Brendon play some baseball with Janene.  Bryson, Tonio and Autumn played hard in the park during the game.  Brendon's team, the Rangers, played the Diamondbacks, the toughest team in the league.  They played well, and kept the game close, but lost in the late innings.  We left around 10 a.m., Autumn proclaiming that she wanted to go home and watch a movie, that she was not tired...and she actually made it until 11 before falling asleep.  Janene and I talked about Kimmy's Kut-a-Thon that she will hold at her salon, Unique Identity, on Sunday May 15th.  My neighbor, Brian, just sent us a copy of the flier that he is making for the event - it is beautiful!  It should help Kimmy's Foundation quite a bit.
        "Are you sleeping any better?"  Janene asked as we left the park..."Not so much this week..."  "Probably too much caffeine!" Janene said..."I think it's the whole 4 month thing, but I'll sleep tonight - it's time to catch up"...but not yet, not yet...
              Love,
                     Dave
     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment