We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Thursday, November 17, 2011

You're Never Over


"You're Never Over"
"The days are cold livin’ without you
The nights are long, I’m growing older
I miss the days of old, thinkin’ about you
You may be gone, but you’re never over.

God just help me out while I fight through this grievin’ process
Tryin' to process this loss is makin’ me nauseous
But this depression ain’t takin me hostage
I’ve been patiently watchin’ this game, pacin’ these hallways
You had faith in me always

And instead of mourning your death, I’d rather celebrate your life.

 It was just the other night, had another dream about you
You told me to get up, I got up, I spread my wings and I flew
You gave me a reason to fight.

Not many are lucky enough to have a guardian angel like you.
Lord I’m so thankful, please don’t think I don’t feel grateful, I do
Just grant me the strength that I need, for one more day to get through"
                                                                     Eminem

11/17/2010

"Wow, we've had an amazing couple of days! Once Kim got home, she received a heroes welcome, complete with the chalka estrada, and the bambini's would not leave her side. This has been good for the kids...they have done so well, with the help of our friends/family and are so relieved to have mom home. They immediately settled in to helping mama with whatever she needs. Thankfully, their teachers are still making extra time with them to help them keep up with their studies (progress reports arrived - Autumn has straight A's!! Cody has A's in all classes but one, and that teacher is the one giving up her lunch hour to help tutor him! And Antonio has all A's except for two subjects, which are high B's!) they would have been pretty lost with the leadership and compassion found in the Vail School District!!
Kim still has an uphill road to walk. Her oxygen intake is still pretty high and she cannot walk alone. But, she had some BIG wins today, getting to take a shower, as we placed a chair in the bathroom (it took us two hours, between prepping her power port, drain and arm that had the thrombectomy, giving her time to rest and then getting her in, but she felt like a new person when done). She also sat at the dinner table with us all for the first time in one month!! Again, this was great for the kids. We had her follow up with her oncologist, Dr. Taetle today (Google him, any thoughts of 'Mayo' or 'Cancer Treatment Centers of America' will immediately dissipate, as they did for me when I did my research on him the first day I met him). Kim absolutely loves Dr. Taetle. She feels he resembles her 'stepdad' Jim and his mannerisms are similar, too. He feels she is making some progress. Her coughing is decreasing, so he believes the bleeding in her lungs is slowing down and he felt able to schedule her next round of chemo for 11/30. As I mentioned before, the primary chemo is called alimta, a newer, so costly form of chemo. It filters through the kidney, rather than the liver, which is already compromised. They drew blood on Kim today to check her kidney values to be sure they are strong enough to handle the alimta (please pray here).

The little bambini's stayed after school today to get tutoring from Mrs. Schrantz (Tonio) and Mrs. Rudzena (Autumn). They were dropped off by Mrs. Rudzena' mom, Patti. The kids had such a sense of accomplishment when they got home, showing us how much homework they were able to get done with their teacher's help (and Tonio proudly proclaimed 'and I had popcorn with hot sauce with Mrs. Schrantz!). I picked up Cody and our neighbor Amy took him to see her son, Alex's, basketball game and then took them to Subway (Alex's team, Rincon Vista Middle School, won). Tomorrow, they will all be picked up by our friend, Andrea, and taking to see her son, David's, game, while Kim has an appointment with Dr. Atkinson, to evaluate her drain for the abscess where her gall bladder had been and, hopefully, remove it (please pray here, too). It is her remaining source of pain.

We are so appreciative of all of the help and support you all have provided, beyond our imagination. We are so blessed and each time we face a hurdle, God has blessed us with one or more of you stepping in to help us. From the absolutely huge check presented to us by our Cottonwood family to the incredible team that I am blessed with at Barnes & Noble, who have enabled me to take a month off and counting to be by Kim's side and to help my family...everyday someone comes forward to touch our lives - some have told us they had lost faith at some point in their journey and have rediscovered it. Some have told us that they have reprioritized their lives...some have said they've reconnected with a family member or friend that they lost touch with...everyday, we are blessed by you all...I am so humbled and appreciative. My family is in good hands. 
         Thank you, Love, Dave"


          Kim getting to take a shower...Yes, it took a few hours to get her ready - but, for her, and for the appreciation she showed, the look in her eyes.  On her face.  The tears...it was worth it.  And to sit with the family at the dinner table...amazing...

         Speaking of sitting at the dinner table with family...



                      We chased away any lingering dark clouds with a huge dinner at Viro's!  Angie, Andrea, David, Lexy, Breanna, Kim, Rahson, Mariah, Micah, MaleahBrinley, Cody, Autumn and Antonio...


Angie, Rosa and I...

              
                                                       Lexy and Autumn, happy and full...


Breanna and Tonio enjoyed gelato for dessert.

                     We spent about 3 hours together, talking, eating, the bambini playing - customers came to the table to compliment how well behaved the little ones were...

                                      Italian Wedding Soup...Pasta...Gelato...Friends...Family...

                                      Love,

                                            Dave


                    

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful place...you can feel the love at Viros and I loved seeing Kim's beautiful picture there even if it did kind of stop my heart for a second...

    Wow, eminem says it well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary, we always did feel at home with Rose and Vito! It was so nice to share that with your wonderful family!! Making new memories like last night keep us going!! Dave

    ReplyDelete